Travel to canada

Travel to Canada with your pets

The regulations to travel with your pet (dog and cat) to Canada are pretty straightforward. Canada does not require a microchip or tattoo identification when you import your personal pet. As Canada is not rabies free, there is a slight difference in regulations for pets imported from rabies free countries and other countries.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency recognizes the following countries as being rabies free:

AnguillaBermudaIrelandSaint Kitts and NevisSweden
AntiguaCayman IslandsJamaicaSaint LuciaTurks and Caicos Islands
AustraliaFijiJapanSaint MartinUnited Kingdom
BahamasFinlandNew ZealandSaint Pierre and MiquelonUruguay
BarbadosIcelandNorwaySaint Vincent and the Grenadines 

Pets imported from one of these countries have two options, they need to have either a rabies vaccination certificate or a veterinary certificate. As Canada is not rabies free, it is advised that pets older than three months going to Canada receive rabies vaccinations.



The rabies vaccination certificate should be written in English or French and be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian. Furthermore, it should identify the pet (breed, sex, colour, and weight), state that the pet is vaccinated against rabies, indicate the date of vaccination, trade name and serial number of the licensed vaccine and the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).

The vaccination record in the European Union pet passport is accepted as a rabies vaccination certificate as long as the requirements previously mentioned are met.



A veterinary Certificate is required to prove that the imported pet has not been in contact with rabies infected animals. It should be written in English or French and issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian. Furthermore, it should identify the pet (breed, sex, colour, and weight), state that the pet has been in the exporting country since birth or for at least six months immediately preceding shipment to Canada. The Veterinarian Certificate must be accompanied by documentation from a competent government authority, stating that rabies has not occurred in the country of origin for at least six months prior to traveling to Canada.

A competent government authority refers to a veterinary agency or other government agency that manages a country’s animal health and welfare situation, as well as handles the responsibility of veterinary certification for the purposes of international trade. The document can be either:

  • a letter issued on the competent government authority’s letterhead, which must be dated, stamped and signed by an official of the competent government authority in the country of origin; or

  • a letter by the licensed veterinarian who issued the certificate, which must be endorsed by the competent government authority.



Pets traveling from other countries than the rabies free countries recognized by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency are only allowed to enter Canada if they have a Rabies Vaccination Certificate.



Pets less than 3 months old traveling to Canada do not require a rabies certificate. However, proof of the pet’s age must be provided upon entry. As Canada is not rabies free, it is not advised to bring pets younger than 3 months (so before they started their rabies immunizations) into Canada.



Upon entering Canada through air with your pet, you will have to take your pet to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (Agriculture Canada). They will check your pet’s Rabies Certificate and visually inspect your pet. A fee must be paid at the time of inspection:

  • $30.00     + tax for the first pet

  • $5.00     + tax for each additional pet



There is no nationwide ban on for example dangerous dogs in Canada. However, in two provinces, Ontario and Manitoba within the city of Winnipeg, there is a ban on owning Pit bulls.



For more information, you can have a look at the website of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.